<CT> Re: Warning about abandonware MSoffice 4.3

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 07:15:21 -0400

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:39:14 -0500, Norm Finch <NormF@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marty, I think the message in here to the rest of us is the old
> song-and-dance -- "Scan, scan, scan ..."

I just downloaded the latest definition files for F-Prot from Frisk
Software, and scanned both the install file directory and the program
directory. The search came up negative. So, "Scan, scan, scan ..."
would not have prevented the disaster.

More detail on the damage. I ran Norton Disk Doctor for Windows 95
(on a Windows 98 SE drive) after booting DOS 6.22. I let it fix the
boot record, the media byte, and the FAT. The only valid entry in the
root directory was the subdirectory WFW311. That subdirectory had
about a dozen entries, all apparently pointing to a few good files
and directories. But that accounted for only a tiny fraction of what
had been on the disk.

On a previous run of NDD, when I let it try to fix the directories,
it searched "directories" with garbage names, found directories it
thought were really files, loads of invalid entries, etc., and it was
going very slowly. I undid that run.

I could undo what NDD did and try again, letting it fix the media
byte but not the FAT, to see whether the result makes more sense or
less. But I'm not optimistic about any recovery. Mainly, I would like
to know what happened. After that, I will try restoring from a backup
on CD-RW (from last December!).

Fortunately, I seldom use the Windows 98 SE (and its "previous"
version, DOS 5.0 with WfW 3.11 with Calmira) that was on that drive.
Mostly I use Windows NT 4.0 to access the same programs and data on
logical drives D: thru I:.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ