<CT> Re: Warning about abandonware MSoffice 4.3

  • From: Norm Finch <NormF@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:37:23 -0500

Martin B. Brilliant wrote:

> When I tried to install it in Windows NT 4.0 I repeatedly got error
> messages telling about some kind of error in some line number in
> something.c.

Just talked with my son whose visiting today, a recent computer
information systems college grad ("ask your kid how to make the thing
quit flashing 12:00!"), about this.  He says the mistake was trying to
install an incompatible program under NT 4.0.  NT 4.0, like XP, does not
share a common history with other Windows OS's, and does not have
rearward compatiblity with software written for them. Those error
messages, says he, are from NT 4.0, telling you that as the program was
trying to install, calls were telling it to run some procedure or such,
and NT is saying the call is not coming in in a form it recognizes.
Either that or a similar problem having to do with differences over NTFS
versus FAT between the OS and your program.

That being the case, malware is not the issue at all, but OS/program
incompatiblity.  If you can't go back and uninstall, rebuilding from your
backup may be your only choice.

Norm
--
  "The chief virtue that language can have is clearness." - Hippocrates
                 -- Peace.  Write well.  Do good work. --