<CT> Re: Looking for V930D.386

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:09:29 +0100 (MET)

> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:46:04 -0500
> From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: Looking for V930D.386

> But it IS worth getting both 32 bit disk and file
> access... You will not
> beleive how fast your computer can be. Your disk
> latancies will drop to
> practicly nil... If you have a half-way decient system,
> it will FLY!!!
> 3.11 properly tuned on a PIO mode 4 drive can run *RINGS*
> around windows
> 98 on a UDMA/30 drive...

When Windows loads, perhaps. But when you deal with large files on
relatively current drives everything that can use a DMA mode will have
quite an advantage. BTW there a DOS busmaster drivers for both older
VIA and Intel southbridges which should enable DMA mode in WfW as well.

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 8:31:35 -0600
> From: Joshua Brannon <jbrannon@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: Looking for V930D.386

> If your trying for 32bit file access and 32bit drive
> access, be careful-
> it wouldn't allow me to access my CD-ROM with 32 drive
> access.

As a fix, you can use the Mitsumi CD-ROM driver and the 386 file that
comes with it - this works around this problem, somehow.

Stephan