<CT> Re: How to change name in "Product is licensed to:"?

  • From: Phillip Dionne <pdionne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:38:23

At 01:37 PM 01/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>   Is there an easy way to change the name (and company name) in Win3.1?
>You obviously know what I'm talking about when you open Program Manager's
>About dialog box after you see the "This product is licensed to:" line.
>I'm giving one PC I've rebuilt to a friend and unfortunately Win3.1 has
>my last name licensed on it.  I would like to have it "licensed" with HIS
>name on it!
>
>   ___Billy Wong___
>   BHS1989@xxxxxxxx
>   http://www.geocities.com/billythekid1602445

There is a little known way to do this from within windows by using windows
setup program.  If you are using windows 3.1 or 3.11 there is no
serialno.ini file, the licensed to name is inside of the user exe program.
Run setup.exe or winsetup.exe from the program managers Run command line.
Or Calmira's Run command with the /F paramiter.

C:\WINDOWS\SETUP.EXE /F

you will be presented with a dialog box asked you to enter a new name and
company. Enter the name you want then keep clicking on the continue button
until it asks for a setup disk. Then select exit setup, windows will exit,
then restart windows and check your about box it should have the new name.

Hope that helps

Phillip