[cad-linux] Re: Wine intellicad

  • From: Maurizio Ferrari <mferrari@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:03:49 +0200

Brian Johnson wrote:

> As a civil/structural engineer with 10 years of experience, I have to agree
> with the concept that it is much more important to get a compentent 2d
> drafting package than anything else, for the main reason outlined - you
> can't build from 3d drawings
>
> Any 3d software I've tried ends up being a battle to get the software to do
> what you want - and isn't worth the time unless you're doing presentation
> drawings for someone that can't read construction drawings (this can also be
> accomplished with a sketch since accuracy isn't a concern in this case)
>
> I have used 3d software to check some dimensions, but usually find that I
> could have done it faster by calculation
>
> I find that the CAD industry has made it seem that to be a compentent CAD
> operator is enough of a goal - but what is often overlooked (and what hasn't
> changed) is that a competent draftsman knows WHAT to draw, not just HOW to
> draw - I don't see software that has replaced that knowledge

You are thinking in terms of civil engineering, but for our daily job
(designing toys and parts thereof, and small mechanical parts, and then
produciong them in injected plastic) in fact we do not use 2D anymore.
We can BUILD parts from 3D, but I guess a civil engineer can't -  3D
printer size being the limitation :-).
We design directly in 3D, build the part directly from STL files through
rapid prototyping machines (stereolitography, or other means), and
assemble it for static and dynamic testing: I have tested dinamically on
the racing track (we do racing scale models mostly) many prototypes
coming directly from the '3D printer' machine. Then, the 3D file is
given directly to the moulds maker and the mould is made out of the 3D
drawing, without going through the 2D drawing -  all the needed
information for the CNC machine is in the 3D files. And, furthermore, I
can use the 3D CAD for cinematic simulation.

I am not obviously saying that all the world does, or should, work and
think in these terms. But for our own job, and for myself, (I think
directly in 3D when I design parts and the 3D CAD gives me the quickes
and most direct representation of what I have in mind), there is no
substitute for 3D modelling.

Best regards
Maurizio

--
Galileo Engineering
Via Zacchetti 6

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering