[cad-linux] Re: Wine intellicad

  • From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:17:09 -0400

As a civil/structural engineer with 10 years of experience, I have to agree
with the concept that it is much more important to get a compentent 2d
drafting package than anything else, for the main reason outlined - you
can't build from 3d drawings

Any 3d software I've tried ends up being a battle to get the software to do
what you want - and isn't worth the time unless you're doing presentation
drawings for someone that can't read construction drawings (this can also be
accomplished with a sketch since accuracy isn't a concern in this case)

I have used 3d software to check some dimensions, but usually find that I
could have done it faster by calculation

I find that the CAD industry has made it seem that to be a compentent CAD
operator is enough of a goal - but what is often overlooked (and what hasn't
changed) is that a competent draftsman knows WHAT to draw, not just HOW to
draw - I don't see software that has replaced that knowledge

For anyone who cares, my thoughts on colour copies are also based on such
unpopular, practical considerations (how many of you have a copy system that
can mass produce colour drawings?  Can they stand up to moisture?  I'll
stick with my blueprinter)