[cad-linux] Re: Pro/E and CATIA

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 06:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

it is specialized for automotive, aircraft, tooling and a few other mechanical
uses.
you could use it for building or site design but you could do the same job with
other, cheaper, solutions.
don't get me wrong i use and like catia, but i do not fool myself about what it
is best at.  i was given one job where i was using catia do draw 2d sketches of
a circuit breaker panel.  it could do what was needed, but it was overkill to
the Nth degree.  the same job could have been done on Qcad and with better font
support.

--- Brian Johnson <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From what I've been able to figure out from reading about Catia - it is not
> well
> suited for anything related to building or site design and construction
>
> It seems to be geared specifically to product design and manufacturing
>

> David One (dinta1@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote*:
> >

> >Catia compares to acad/icad in a similar way to oranges and elephants...
> >
> >Acad is a drafting package and they've added some boolean solid capabilities
> >to it... Catia/Pro/Engineer/Unigraphics, SolidWorks are parametric, feature
> >based modelling systems. This meaning that you can make changes to the
> >dimensions and design intent that you've built into the models. This
> >approach much easier than a boolean based modelling system.
> >
> >>From the model, whether it be a single component or assembly of components,
> >the drawing views and dimensions are generated automatically... when changes
> >are made to the parts or assemblies, the drawing automatically reflects
> >these changes.
> >
> >There are many more capabilities, this is only a very basic explanation of
> >the capabilities...
> >
> >Have a look at:
> >http://www.dsweb.com
> >http://www.solidworks.com
> >http://www.ptc.com
> >

> >Regards,
> >David1
> >

> >>From: Robert Davis <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>Subject: [cad-linux] Re: Pro/E and CATIA
> >>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:26:57 -0600
> >>

> >>I'd be more interested in knowing how CATIA compares to ACAD/ICAD.

> >>choose

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com