[cad-linux] Re: Pro/E and CATIA

  • From: Gerhard Reithofer <gerhardr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:56:55 +0200

David One schrieb:

> Catia compares to acad/icad in a similar way to oranges and elephants...
>
> Acad is a drafting package and they've added some boolean solid capabilities
> to it... Catia/Pro/Engineer/Unigraphics, SolidWorks are parametric, feature
> based modelling systems. This meaning that you can make changes to the
> dimensions and design intent that you've built into the models. This
> approach much easier than a boolean based modelling system.
>
> >From the model, whether it be a single component or assembly of components,
> the drawing views and dimensions are generated automatically... when changes
> are made to the parts or assemblies, the drawing automatically reflects
> these changes.
>
> There are many more capabilities, this is only a very basic explanation of
> the capabilities...
>
> Have a look at:
> http://www.dsweb.com
> http://www.solidworks.com
> http://www.ptc.com
>
> Regards,
> David1

Agreed, but would have compared a bicycle and a truck, both are able to
transport goods and people ;-)

But feature modelling, automatic creation of drawings and views,
assembly
modelling, etc. are also possible on cad systems, which cost a few
percent of the price for Catia/Pro/Engineer/Unigraphics, e. g. VariCAD,
which exists also as native Linux version.

Of cource, the quality of these modeller is much more restricted
compared
to the "big ones", but many tasks do not need these capabilities. BTW
VariCAD has a very easy to use BOM mechanism, functions which enhance
the filling of title blocks, etc. which I always missed in CATIA 4 - on
which I'm working for many years.

IMHO I would say, that there are many tools on the cad market, each of
them focussed on a specific group of users and solutions - too less for
Linux :-( and they all could learn from each other.

Bye,
 Gerhard Reithofer - Techn. EDV Reithofer - Technical software solutions
 mailto:gerhardr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                http://www.tech-edv.co.at
 Peierlhang 31b, A-8042 Graz, Austria    Phone/Fax number +43-316/405707