[cad-linux] Re: Pro/E and CATIA

  • From: "David One" <dinta1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:27:51 +1000

Catia compares to acad/icad in a similar way to oranges and elephants...

Acad is a drafting package and they've added some boolean solid capabilities
to it... Catia/Pro/Engineer/Unigraphics, SolidWorks are parametric, feature
based modelling systems. This meaning that you can make changes to the
dimensions and design intent that you've built into the models. This
approach much easier than a boolean based modelling system.

From the model, whether it be a single component or assembly of components,
the drawing views and dimensions are generated automatically... when changes
are made to the parts or assemblies, the drawing automatically reflects
these changes.

There are many more capabilities, this is only a very basic explanation of
the capabilities...

Have a look at:
http://www.dsweb.com
http://www.solidworks.com