[cad-linux] File formats - executable data

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD Linux list <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:06:38 +0100

[Continued: Discussing a data format that uses filesystem structures
instead of monolithic files]

On Mon 08-Sep-2003 at 01:38:36AM +0200, Massimiliano Mirra wrote:

> One more chance I considered is that `geometry' files don't
> necessarily need be flat text files containing geometric data, they
> can be executable files generating geometric data (think static web
> sites vs. dynamic web sites).  This provides a nice way to create
> parametric objects,

This is important, there is a need for objects that are sets of
instructions for producing data rather than actual data.

Though using fully executable files for this is going to cause
problems, consider the situation where data is untrusted - We have
an entire anti-virus industry that only exists because some software
vendors encourage executable code mixed within documents.

On Mon 08-Sep-2003 at 04:12:59AM +0200, Janek Kozicki wrote:

> and if a file:
>
> ./Attributes/Materials/stucco
>
> could be an executable, to generate stucco information... man.. that
> variety of possibilities astounds me

It needs to be done with a safe scripting language that can be
sand-boxed - Any suggestions?

--
Bruno