[cad-linux] Re: Design methodology for an open geometric data management standard

  • From: Janek Kozicki <janek_listy@xxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:59:31 +0200

Eric Wilhelm said:     (by the date of Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:37:48 -0500)

> As an example, consider the arc forming the bottom edge of the front-left
> corner of the far-right sink (model 23, manufacturer X) in the men's bathroom
> on the west end of the third floor in building five of project number 342.

as I've made some hotel desigs I'd better use sectors to describe the
front-left corner. And that is a _very_ good idea to split big projects
into parts. any parts you want. You can use the directory tree structore
and also an attributes system, that will allow to define attributes (
*any* attributes, but among them: layers and linetypes).

I think that the arc from your example would be a file in a special
directory.

<directory that contains objects lying in sector A-2 wich is the
front-left corner> / <the right side of that sector> / ~symlink
directory pointing somewhere else (for example
$DRAWING_DIR/blocks/sink23X ) / <object - arc, with geometry defined
inside>

$DRAWING_DIR/sect.A.2/right/sink23X/bottom.arc

> This is (as far as reading and displaying the data is concerned) simply an
> arc
> with a radius of 3.5" parallel to the world-xy plane at some x,y,z location.
> Accessing this data in read-only mode should be exactly that simple.

Can you explain to me, why you want to access the data in read only mode?

> But
> notice how I have described it.  It is obviously an entity in a
> highly-parametric model and should remain linked in this way so that the
> parametric program which created it is not broken or confused by
> modifications to this data.
>
> Now, how do we abstract all of this to a level that allows multiple
> highly-parametric programs to utilize and modify this data in a cooperative
> way?

use of attributes? I described them in following posts:

first idea:

[cad-linux] Re: Design methodology for an open geometric data management
standard
//www.freelists.org/archives/cad-linux/09-2003/msg00083.html

more:

[cad-linux] Re: CAD format, virtual filesystem, editing
//www.freelists.org/archives/cad-linux/09-2003/msg00086.html

and more:

[cad-linux] Re: managing attributes
//www.freelists.org/archives/cad-linux/09-2003/msg00089.html

> And how do we make it simple enough to access the data so that simple
> programs can use it to perform simple tasks without having to get over all of
> the complexity associated with maintaining (or even just parsing through) the
> parametric relationship?

just files placed in directories. You can CVS, diff, grep them. And
apply patches.

the attribute system shouldn't conflict with that...

I very interested what do you have to say about this whole attribute system

--
# Janek Kozicki