[cad-linux] Re: Design methodology for an open geometric data management standard

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD Linux list <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 21:18:11 +0100

On Sun 07-Sep-2003 at 09:47:41PM +0200, Janek Kozicki wrote:

> > >   Any items not listed in a layer table would simply not have
> > >   an assigned layer.
>
> one thing I have doubts about:
>
> one object has its name placed in two places. - the file
> describing that object, and the table of layers. I don't like it.

I had doubts about this and didn't implement it.  Keeping attributes
in a separate table is just usual database normalisation - The
question is really this:

If an object is copied/moved/linked from one drawing to another,
does it take it's attributes with it?

I would say that a layer is a 'place' rather than a fundamental
property of an object and shouldn't be carried around - Unlike the
radius of a circle for example - The radius should by 'sticky'.

Things like 'colour' or 'material' are less obvious - I suppose any
file format should be flexible about such attributes.

> What if the data gets unsynchronised? Of course, there could be
> made a workaround as - assigning 'layer 0' to objects without a
> layer,

As I understand it, that is what layer 0 represents in AutoCAD (My
drawings got a lot simpler and I wasted much less time when I
started putting everything on layer 0 :-)

--
Bruno