[cad-linux] Re: DXF,DWG,HPGL to Web server

  • From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:01:02 +0000

Sorry, got sent out to job sites today

Well, basically I'm trying to evaluate Catia features in comparison to AutoCad
R14
that we currently use in preparation for the possible release of a Linux catia
version

We mostly do 2d drawings and I assume most 2d drafting packages including Catia
have suitable tools for that (we don't do any complex curves that have to match
mathematical formula)

But we do take heavy advantage of paper space, model space, external references
and
floating viewports - let me know if you don't recognize these Autodesk terms

So my main question is - does Catia have similar features to these AutoCad
features?

Other questions include:
how easy is it to use?
how difficult would it be for a user to switch from AutoCad to Catia?
how much does it cost?
are the drawings formats semi-standard?
does it have features for civil and structural engineering that make it better
than
Autocad in some ways?
do they have server versions that could be used on the LAN (multi user shared
licensing)