[cad-linux] Re: DXF,DWG,HPGL to Web server

  • From: keith frost <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:01:29 -0700 (PDT)

> Well, basically I'm trying to evaluate Catia
> features in comparison to AutoCad R14
> that we currently use in preparation for the
> possible release of a Linux catia
> version

any new version or port will more than likely be a V5.
most of my time has been spent on the unix(AIX)
version of V4, but i will answer as best i can.

> We mostly do 2d drawings and I assume most 2d
> drafting packages including Catia
> have suitable tools for that (we don't do any
> complex curves that have to match
> mathematical formula)

V4 and V5 can be used as a 2D drafting tool.  in fact
we been told that some of our planners are running a
@d only version of V5(2D Catia, sounds like a
contradiction to me :-) that is easier to learn and
can read all our CCD, Cadam, and CatiaV4 drawings.
While at boeing one of my duties was updating drawings
of circuit breaker pannels.  these were 2D V4.

> But we do take heavy advantage of paper space, model
> space, external references and
> floating viewports - let me know if you don't
> recognize these Autodesk terms

i've been out of the autodesk world for many years but
most of us did start there( R9 ).

> So my main question is - does Catia have similar
> features to these AutoCad features?

PaperSpace -> Draw
ModelSpace -> Space
ExternalReference -> overlay or session
        an overlay is a temperary association
        a session is a saved association
floating viewports -> AuxView and AuxView2
        an Auxview is the older type of viewport and
                looks into space(modelspace)
        an Auxview2 is the newer viewport and can
                either render 2D geometry to draw or
                act as a std auxview.  depends on what
                you want to do.

> Other questions include:
> how easy is it to use?

do you prefer an HP Calculator or a TI? :-) think
Catia/HP everything is backwards to most people.
early cadkey was like this also so it did not bother
me too much, but most Acad drivers will tell you that
catia stands for: Come And Take It Away.

> how difficult would it be for a user to switch from
> AutoCad to Catia?
in 3D you will be overwhelmed with the number of tools
and ways to do things.  this is Catia's strong point.
it can model anything. no matter how complex.

in 2D you will be bitching about how limited(V4) it
is.
dimmensioning has improved a lot but text and font
support is not something i can describe in mexed
company.  this is Autocad strong point.  i'm hoping
that in V5 they will improve this.

> how much does it cost?

i can't tell you that, but it's more than i afford for
home use.

> are the drawings formats semi-standard?

this is up to you.  everywhere i've ever worked they
had their own custom titleblocks/formats.

> does it have features for civil and structural
> engineering that make it better than
> Autocad in some ways?
V4 has a very small universe, seems like we were told
that it was +-1000 meters in xyz.  i guess this is the
tradeoff of a high level of precission.  for aircraft
that is fine, but for civil that will run out very
quickly.
i remember when AcadR10 came out i was told of someone
at JPL doing a full scale model of the solarsystem in
autocad.  i guess it depends how you set your units.

> do they have server versions that could be used on
> the LAN (multi user shared > licensing)

to the best of my knowledge yes, in fact i think that
is the std configuration for large installations.

when i first started down the road to catia, i sent
off to ibm for a demo(they did not do demos then) and
they suggeted i buy a book.  now days you can email
them and they will send you a 30day evaluation of the
V5-NT version.  i've got it and was planning to try to
get it running with wine but have not had the time.
anyway send off for the demo and buy a book on
it(before the 30 days start) and play with it your
self.  see if it suits your needs.

hope that helps

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://sbc.yahoo.com