[cad-linux] Re: DXF,DWG,HPGL to Web server

  • From: "Captain H. Bruce Hartgers" <thephnx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 06:55:07 -0400

See inserted comments below:

Robin Rowe wrote:

> Subject was: Newbie questions
> files from a Linux Web server (not workstation).

If the Linux web server is doing it's job it will serve up any format that will
display on any browser.

> There are some converters on SourceForge.net and Freshmeat.net. Trying
> searching for "DXF" or "DWG" or "HPGL". Of course, using whatever Windows
> tool to convert the files before placing them on the Linux Web server is
> another option. In that case Acrobat Writer may be a solution. That mimics a
> printer driver under Windows, outputting PDF.

The Acrobat Printer Engine is far from a freebie, it has sat in a sheltered
overpriced area for long past its worth.  Instead DO the following:

   * Get AutoCAD / AutoDesks Free Web Converter -exporting to *.dwf, MOSAIC
     (www) files- and Have your clients DownLoad the equally free `WHIP'
     viewer.  The `WHIP' viewer allows the client to fully view, zoom, scroll,
     print, etc. the CAD drawing file as if they had AutoCAd, they just can't
     edit.
   * A VERY close second, subscribe to EFax <http://www.efax.com> this gives you
     tremendous publishing power under the guise of `Fax' file conversions -
     ever seen a full colour fax?  The *.efx file can be sent as a self
     executable *.exe that sets up its own viewer at the clients double-click,
     or they can download a viewer free at <http://www.efax.com/need/>