[cad-linux] Re: Any suggestions about free hosting sites for a CAD symbol library?

  • From: Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:31:51 -0500

Send me an E-mail, and I'd be happy to send you a copy of the tarball, I don't
think the list software will let me attach it to a list posting...
I mention QCAD since it's what I used to create the files with - and it seems
to be one of the few Linux CAD programs out there that is actively functional
- I went through several different lists of Linux programs and it was the only
one I found that worked on my machine and had the capabilities I wanted...

Given that I developed the library w/ QCAD, I felt it was appropriate to
mention the program for purposes of credit, and as a reference point where I
can say "this is how to install and use them in QCAD, you need to adapt to
your program if using something else..." - It is hard to say how to install
the library if you can't say what program you are talking about...

I also made the blocks in *.DXF format because that is what QCAD works with
natively - it will do exports to SVG, PDF and various bitmap formats, but will
not import them, other than to paste in as blocks that can be traced, but not
modified...  I found a fair number of symbol sets in other formats, but not in
DXF, which is why I went to the trouble of making these instead of using
something that already existed...  I just want to share my work so that others
won't have to do the same thing.

ART

PS - as something for the list admins - every time I post to the list I get an
e-mail autoresponse saying chrisl@xxxxxxxxx has had his e-mail changed to
@SmithEngineering.Pro rather than @secnm.com - is there anything that can be
done about this?

--
Arthur Torrey
Town Meeting Representative

Speaking only as myself unless otherwise indicated!

GPG key: C02F53C5
Fingerprint: 7D31 C4B5 7DEE 22FD 8C07  D76F A832 933F C02F 53C5