[cad-linux-dev] Re: format as a mini-language

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:14:31 -0800

> I think I've found it:
>
> http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/filefmts.pdf
>
> yes, quite cool.
>
> not sure if I should just give up on the language I was designing and
> continue working on my cad program though...

I don't think that you should give up at all, for at the very least
it will be a great learning experience for you, and who knows what
great ideas you may uncover in the process. Sounds like you're a =
student.
This Radiance stuff is a PHD's life's work, it's nothing trivial, and
it personally scares the poop outta me. So don't feel like it negates
what your looking at, for while complex and robust, it's not intended
for what you're looking at doing, and in the end is really one guy's
idea of how to approach the fundamental problem of describing and
viewing 3D geometry using a computer. Who knows what you'd come up
with?

I provided Radiance stuff just to show an example of a working
system that uses plaintext for geometry and material formats
that can be used for both the visual part (renderings) and
the analysis part (lighting studies). Seems like we're all
talking about something similar that does a different visual
part (CAD plans) and allows for different analysis (structural/
materials testing/more) and as such thought that you guys should
look at Radiance a little as a point of inspiration, not emulation. :)

Jeffrey