[cad-linux-dev] Re: format as a mini-language

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:39:14 -0600

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> cr88192
> on Sunday 07 December 2003 01:25 pm:

>I am torn between a few possible general designs:
>a lispy core (at least syntax, general model, typesystem, ...);
>I have had good sucesses designing things based on this before, including a
>few linguistics related things (eg: scripts that are run through programs
>and generate text in specific languages, or at least sort of...);
>this would require others trying to implement it to also implement a similar
>core;

I think a good definition of the model description language would allow
the core to be designed along a few different paths.  After all, the
core is about what the program *does* not how it stores the data.  A
drafting core will be significantly different than an FEA core.  This is
where I think a multi-mode I/O library would come-in handy.

>the evaluation semantics would likely signifigantly differ from lisp.
>maybe I could use my (somewhat incomplete) "BGF 0.4" format as a starting
>point...

I tend to see the model load/save operations as less of an "evaluation"
procedure.  Consider what your program design would look like if every
access to an entity were to go through a library.  Now consider what
that library has to offer to your program for an API and then see what
the storage method should look like.  If you also allow that different
branches of the library offer different API's to various types of
programs, this is what I mean by a multi-mode library.

--Eric
--
"These crispix get soggy so quickly."
                                        -- Tina Connolly