[cad-linux-dev] Re: format as a mini-language

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:48:01 -0600

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> cr88192
> on Monday 08 December 2003 07:10 pm:

>I am not naturally very confident, so anything similar but better than what
>I can do seems like a discouragement...

Read "The Art of Unix Programming" (Raymond).  Read the entire thing.  Start
at the beginning and read every word until you get to the end.  Take time
between some words to think.  Read the referenced documents and books if they
catch your attention.

Among the things you will gain may be to know the way of the zen master
programmer.  Unfortunately, this may cause you to drop-out of college if you
acquire too much zen and the professors try to pound it out of you.

You should also gain some much more concrete things such as how to know when
you are re-inventing the wheel and when you are justifiably tearing
everything down to the ground for the sake of a fresh start.  Also good
things would be to know the value of a good, stiff punt when the edge cases
become too complex and to be able to see modular boundaries in your design.

That's it for my soapbox.  You may burn it now.

--Eric
--
"Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt."
                                        --Herbert Hoover