[bristol-birds] Caney Island Branch - Buchanan County

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 13:13:24 -0400

Bristol Birders,
        I birded the mountain across from Weller Yard in Buchanan County
this morning.  My first stop was to try and relocate the Lawrence's
Warbler that was seen in late April and early May.  Although I did
locate five Blue-winged Warblers in the general area there was no
sign of the Lawrence's.  A couple of the Blue-wings appeared to be
young birds but none had any facial markings that resembled a
Golden-winged.  Oh well, I guess he has moved on - at least we have
some great video of his visit.
        I worked my way up Caney Island Branch and then Mike's Branch to
the top of Bull Mountain.  The weather was perfect and the cooler
weather has sparked some song in the mountains.  Highlights of the
hike included a mother Black-and-white Warbler feeding a fledgling,
some great looks at a singing Cerulean Warbler, four Kentucky
Warblers, and an Ovenbird who let me know that I was standing too
close to it's nest.  It was a great morning of birding with 34
species logged.  Results are listed below.

Ed Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm

June 8, 2002
Caney Island Branch, Mike's Branch
Buchanan County Virginia
Temp - 60-70 degrees (partly cloudy)

Blue-winged Warbler             6
Black-throated Green Warbler    7
Hooded Warbler                  7
Kentucky Warbler                4
Northern Parula                 2
Cerulean Warbler                1
Worm-eating Warbler             1
Black-and-white Warbler         3
Ovenbird                        2
Scarlet Tanager                 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo            2
American Goldfinch              2
Eastern Phoebe                  4
Acadian Flycatcher              5
Mourning Dove                   3
Ruffed Grouse                   1
Wild Turkey                     3
American Crow                   3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird       1
Song Sparrow                    4
Indigo Bunting                  3
Tufted Titmouse                 4
Carolina Chickadee              2
Red-eyed Vireo                  9
Blue-headed Vireo               1
Hairy Woodpecker                4
Downy Woodpecker                2
Pileated Woodpecker             2
Northern Flicker                        2
Northern Cardinal               3
Carolina Wren                   6
Wood Thrush                     5
American Robin                  2

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958