[BNU] Re: Bookshare inaccessibility, how much is due to Windows CE 6?

  • From: sammie clay <sammied1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lucysirianni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:11:50 -0400

Also, if Book-share is deliberately doing this, the US government should be notified. Tax dollars pay them lots of money each year to keep their books accessable to the visually impaired community.

Sammie D.  Clay

From: RAJMUND <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx
To: d.prater@xxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:34:44 +0100
Subject: Re: [BNU] Bookshare inaccessibility, how much is due to
Windows CE 6?

Hello,
If I'm not mistaken, IOS 8 bought its own bugs, am I right? If
so, apple hasn't got the most accessibility, has it? When Voice
over disappears, and need sighted help to get it back, I will not
call that accessible.  It used to be, but right now, it isn't,
what it used to be.  Just to stay on topic, people have troubles
with their braille displays, and bluetooth keyboards, as of now.
What is worse than anything, is the fact, that apple knew all
these bugs through the beta, and didn't fix them.  Hmm, wonder
why? One thing's for sure.  No matter what will happen, note
taking devices will always have the most accessibility, since
they are made with braille in their  mind.  And this is the
topic, where its a personal preference.  You say apple, I say
notetakers, others say windows, others say android, and so on.
Think, its whatever works best for who.
From: Peter Greco <peter.19.greco@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx, braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
lucysirianni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 08:30:50 +1030
Windows CE 6?

Is this due to the Apex using CE 6?
It seems that every time a website is updated it becomes less
accessible with the Apex.
I did try asking Patrick Wallace about this, and reading between
the lines, if you can do that with a verbal conversation, I
think
that the Apex and perhaps other notetakers are going to be
refreshable braille displays for mainstream devices.  I have
said
for some time that these units are going to be "museum bound".
Perhaps we're all "lusers" rather than "users"!
You can hear Patrick's interview, go to
www.rphadelaide.org.au/links/VE.mp3
Technology is moving just way too fast for these devices, that's
an observation not a criticism!
The I-phone 4 s which was out barely 3 years ago is now regarded
as ancient!
How can the Apex which is 5 years old compete?
Again, an observation not a criticism!
Peter

From: Lucy Sirianni <lucysirianni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, 24 October 2014 10:28 pm
Subject: [BNU] [blindkid] Important Info for Bookshare Users
with
Braille Notes!

Hi all,

I just received this rather upsetting information from another
listserv and thought it might be of use to others on this list.
I hope that those of us who rely on Bookshare's services and who
prefer or need to use the site with a BrailleNote can make both
Bookshare and HumanWare aware of how extremely problematic this
incompatibility is.

Lucy