[brailleblaster] Re: Using IDs or Classes in Config files

  • From: "Keith Creasy" <kcreasy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 03:58:30 -0400

This seems like a good approach. I would just add that we want to try and
discourage extensive use of new styles. Generally there should already be a
style that fits most situations. I'm not sure how to accomplish this but if
a user were to get into the habit of defining a new style every time they
needed to change the style on an element things could get messy even though
it might work.  There is a very limited number of named elements in most of
the XML vocabularies we are going to handle and in almost every case the
named element will use the styles consistently. In most cases it is not a
matter of creating a new style for a particular element but rather a need to
assign the treatment of a named element as if it were a different named
element, for example a particular level-4 heading may really need to be
treated as a level-3 heading in braille. This is a subjective decision and
is one reason we still need human transcribers.

As Brandon and I discussed, the user interface should present a list of
available styles that the user can pick from to make it clear that the
existing styles are available. I think we also need to improve the way
styles are modified. The current "Translation Template" dialog is OK for
regular configuration settings but for styles it isn't nearly clear enough
what the user can do with a style, what settings can be changed, and what
effect they have. I'd suggest that we leave out styles from the translation
template dialog or perhaps leave styles there but provide an interface that
lets a user open a style in a more structured dialog. I think Brandon is
making this a view in the main window which is also a fine way to make it
clear to the user what's going on and how to change it.

We may also need to filter the action that is initiated when a user attempts
to add white space in the text view. One of our testers attempted to center
a heading with the tab key. The result, as expected, was that the text was
centered in the text view but the braille view did not change because
LibLouis compressed the white space. The tester was confused by this
behavior.