[brailleblaster] Re: Thoughts on backtranslating braille to print

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 18:57:38 +0000

Thanks Susan.

For now the plan is that users of BrailleBlaster can enter such things as
transcriber's notes in either text or Braille. I am sure the back-translation
is going to occaisionally be wrong but it is a simple thing to just correct it
on the text view when that happens. We do use back translation on a couple of
our devices and, yes, there are errors,  but not often and we are trying to
make it better at least for English.

Implementing this should actually make the process of finding and fixing errors
easier. Many of the errors in the LibLouis tables we've found have really been
because whoever wrote the rules just wasn't thinking in terms of round-trip
translation and I guess it was never caught.

I'm sure there are a few ambiguities that are difficult to deal with and I'm
sure you know those better than I do. Hopefully we can eventually make a
translator that is smart enough to even figure those out.

Keith