[bookshare-discuss] Re: periodicals on bookshare

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 07:31:02 -0700

At 03:04 AM 7/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Here is an idea, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to impliment. How ab=
>out making an html version available that would have a link for each sect=
>ion of the paper? Not only is this periotical idea good from a person wit=

I am sure others will point this out, but this is already more or less
being done.  Instead of links, they use headings.  If you are using a
current version of either Window-Eyes or JAWS, use the "h" key to jump
through headings.  Heading level 2 is for major sections and heading level
3 is for individual articles.  If you do not use a screen reader, it would
be possible to either produce your own table of contents or mark up the
file for easier searching.  You would need to use a search and replace
program to insert a character, such as "~" near the opening heading
tags.  Not elegant, but it works.  I have done similarly with the old
magazines from Project Gutenberg.

Speaking of PG, let me just mention that Project Gutenberg has a very nice
run of _Atlantic Monthly,_ _Punch,_ _Scientific American Supplement,_ _The
Mirror of Literature, Amusement and Instruction_ and a couple of others.  I
recommend the html versions when possible because they contain headings,
but unfortunately most of _The Atlantic Monthly_ is in text only.  All of
these are pre-1923, so they are of historical interest primarily.  I read,
for example, about early experiments with electricity and how it might
replace steam in the future.