[bookshare-discuss] Re: Scanners

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:10:46 -0500

Hi Lora, and welcome to the list. This is a good place to ask the question
you've asked; there are plenty of scanning gurus here. <grin> I'm not
surprised that many of the scanners listed are older ones; scanners are one
thing that don't seem to have improved much over time. The industry moved
toward photo scanning and away from text scanning, so lots of the newer
scanners make images that aren't very good for OCR. As to which scanner is
good, there was a lot of positive reaction to the Epson 1660, which cost
less than $100, but it's not being manufactured anymore and I can't remember
the model number of its successor. You may have to wait a bit to get more
but someone should be able to recommend a model number soon.
Kellie