[bookshare-discuss] Re: copywrite year in roman numerals

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 18:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

Nicely done, Rick. If I hadn't read a little further in my mail I would have
just given her the answer. smile

Your explanation of roman numerals is wonderful, but you forgot an important
part--explaining why ix is 9 and CM is 900, i.e., that a number in front of
another number means to subtract and a number or numbers after mean to add. So
x being 10, and i being one, ix is ten minus one, or 9, and xi is ten plus one,
meaning 11.

G.Cindy