[bookshare-discuss] Re: call to all writers

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <hillikera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:11:21 -0700

Hi Nicole, Mayrie, and other writers,

I made a list of writing books for a friend and thought I'd post it here.
These are some books about writing that I've found in the Bookshare
collection.  This isn't all of the books that we have, but I think it does
give some good suggestions.  Below I will list the titles, authors,
synopses, and download links for each one.  I hope you find it helpful.

****

Books About Writing

Available from www.bookshare.org.

Note: This is a sample of writing books from the Bookshare website.  This
does not necessarily include all books available on the subject.

What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers

By Anne Bernays  and Pamela Painter

Synopsis: A handbook for writers based on the idea that specific exercises
are one of the most useful and provocative methods of mastering the art of
fiction writing

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=39991#main_content

Story Matters: Contemporary Short Story Writers Share the Creative Process

By Margaret-Love Denham and Barbara Shoup

2006

Synopsis: Techniques for writing short stories. Contains examples, advice,
and strategies to help you with your writing. Writers explain the intent,
technique, and meaning of their fiction. Includes a list of the author's
favorite short stories and a  bibliography of further writing resources.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=45414#main_content

The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children

By Nancy Lamb

It's all here-everything you need to know about writing for children,
presented with insight and humor. Nancy Lamb provides practical advice using
classic stories as examples as well as her own twenty-five years of writing
experience.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=32267#main_content

Media Writer's Handbook

George P. Arnold

Discusses common pitfalls in journalistic writing and how to avoid them.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=31245#main_content

A Writer's Book of Days

By Judy Reeves

This book is a holistic approach to being a writer that encompasses the
physical, emotional, and spiritual as well as the creative aspects of
writing." The book includes daily writing prompts, quotes from writers about
writing, and habits of established writers as well as other suggestions for
becoming a writer.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=40768#main_content

Conversations with American Writers

By Charles Ruas

Includes interviews with authors such as Eudora Welty, Norman Mailer, Truman
Capote, Gore Vidal, Tennessee Williams, Marguerite Young, William Burroughs,
Joseph Heller, Susan Sontag, E. L. Doctorow, Toni Morrison, Paul Theroux,
Robert Stone, and Scott Spencer.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=43409#main_content

Professors as Writers: A Self-Help Guide to Productive Writing

By Robert Boice

Intended to help scholars master writing as a productive, enjoyable and
successful experience in 30-to-60 minute sessions amidst busy daily
schedules

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=40345#main_content

The Story Behind the Story: 26 Writers and How They Work

Edited by Peter Turchi and andrea Barrett

This anthology contains 26 contemporary short stories, each followed by an
essay by the author. The essays, as varied in style and content as the
stories themselves, attempt to demystify the writing process by describing
how the stories came into being. Authors include Antonya Nelson, Karen
Brennan, Stephen Dobyns, Robert Boswell, Joan Silber, and each of the
anthology's editors.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=44289#main_content

The Travel Writer's Guide: How to Earn At Least Twice What You Spend on
Travel By Writing Newspaper and Magazine Articles

By Gordon Burgett

How to sell your article before you travel, what editors look for, how to
brainstorm ideas for successful articles, how to document and deduct travel
expenses on your taxes, and more.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=46859#main_content

Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing (second edition)

Edited by Michelle Ruberg

This book is packed with practical information you can put to use today,
whether you're just starting your freelance career or trying to keep pace
with changing expectations and opportunities.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=33433#main_content

Becoming a Public Relations Writer: A Writing Process Workbook for the
Profession

By Ronald D. Smith

"Becoming a Public Relations Writer" has been written to help guide you
through the writing process. It will lead you through the various steps and
stages of writing and will help you explore many formats and styles
necessary for public relations writing.

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=36382#main_content

Happy writing,
Allison