[bookshare-discuss] Re: call to all writers

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:44:34 -0700

Hi Nicole,

I'd love to know what titles interest you regarding writing! It's possible that I own a couple of them, maybe, and could scan them, just haven't gotten to them yet. Would you be willing to post a list of books on writing that interest you here on the list? I really like several books that Bookshare does have on the subject of writing. There are many more on the site that look interesting. These are just my favourites. I also have a bunch in my personal print collection.
Have you checked out any of the following?

Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
by
Brenda Miller,
Suzanne Paola

Room To Write
by
Bonni Goldberg

A Writer's Book of Days
by
Judy Reeves

Writing Creative Nonfiction: Instruction and Insights from Teachers of the Associated Writing Programs
by
Carolyn Forche,
Philip Gerard

Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life
by
Natalie Goldberg

Peace,
Mayrie

At 04:19 PM 5/21/2008, you wrote:
To anyone who is passionate enough about writing to want to improve yours every chance you get (and I know there are some, because I've listened with longing to some of the writers' practice meeting archives): Have you ever noticed that there are a ton of amazing books for writers out there, and a minute percentage--if any--make it into some accessible format? I'm not talking about the generic "do this and that and don't forget to cross your t's and dot your i's" books, I'm talking about the ones that really help and encourage one to broaden and deepen, or give prompts that force you to be exploratory and beat the walls of your box to shreds. I've looked everywhere I can reach for these, and so far haven't gotten anything out of searching. I can't scan books yet myself because the only scanner in my house is about twelve years old and ceased to function properly about seven years ago--poor old thing, it was retired and is now languishing in some unknown place haunted by the fell shadows of dust bunnies--but I know of some good titles of these books. I thought of just jumping the gun, but thought that I'd see if anyone else is interested besides myself, or if I'm just fanatical. (And if I am, that's totally okay with me and I might just go ahead and try my luck anyway for kicks. *grins*)
Blessings,
Nicole