[bookshare-discuss] Re: Help with MS-Word

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 22:15:45 -0500

Duane,

I think You're getting the help you need with Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown,
but I'll just reiterate by saying that all I do is use the Ctrl-G to open
the Go To Dialog box, type in a page number, hit enter then Escape.  If you
use this method, be careful, when entering a second page number.  Word 2000
and earlier doesn't highlight the page number when you open the dialog box,
so you don't automatically replace the last page number if you start typing
a new one.  You'll need to delete the old one first, or just edit it.  As
someone else mentioned, once you use the Go To feature to go to a page, the
Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown keys will return to paging up and paging down.

As for marking a block of text, you start the block with F8 and end it with
the Escape key.  Once the text is blocked, you'll need to do your copy, cut,
delete, spell check, etc. right away, though since, from what I've read, all
this actually does is make highlighting text easier.  It doesn't actually
place a begin and end of block marker like Word Perfect and some editors do.
It's suppose to free you up to use features like Find and Go To in order to
extend your highlighted block of text.  You're also supposed to be able to
adjust the block by hitting F8 again after you hit Escape and before moving
the cursor.

Word will also let you do much more complex Search and Replaces if you use
the ^ codes or Special Character menu That Dave mentioned.  That's how I
fixed the problem with the paragraphs in Crown of Slaves.

Gerald