[bookshare-discuss] Re: Dictionaries and Encyclopedias

  • From: "Ron Miller" <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:22:53 -0400

Good morning,
for people who own a PAC Mate, the databases available at very
reasonable prices from Pocket Directory are great. You can find info
about them at:
http://www.pocketdirectory.com/
I have always loved reading encyclopedias and dictionaries and both are
available here. The interface is very reminiscent of using a braille
volume, with the familiar structure: sections according to letter, then
guide words within each section and finally a list of entries within the
defined guide words.

As an example, I've got several dictionaries, a thesaurus, both
Worldbook and Britannica encyclopedias and, my happiest acquisition, the
2008 World Almanac! All of these are on my 2 gb card with lots of space
left over for Bookshare books and myriad other folders and files
including my Audible books. I've wanted to own and read an almanac since
I discovered they existed and it has been both fun and enlightening to
browse this one.

I believe the most expensive item in their offerings is in the $40 to
$45 range and the DataViewer application which let's you read these
databases is free, as are a number of databases--including the U.S.
constitution and Declaration of Independence.

My very best to everyone

Ron Miller