[bookshare-discuss] Re: Dictionaries and Encyclopedias

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 14:04:55 -0500

Different researchers have made comparisons of Wiki articles to Britannica articles in terms of accuracy, and were surprised to find that Wiki as accurate when it came to factual data. Smile. I thought that was pretty interesting when I read about it. In terms of biographies/histories - both contained equal amounts of what was considered 'bias' in how the information was presented.

I'm another one of those who as a kid would check out encyclopedias and read them. Grin. Loved it. Nowadays, I love going into wiki and just doing a random browse to learn something new.

Judy s.

Nancy Feldman wrote:
I love Wiki, actually, but some entries aren't very well fleshed out.  And
sometimes it's hard to determine validity; after all, well-written doesn't
always mean true.

What's your favorite dictionary site?