[bookport] Re: rechargeable batteries, another option

  • From: Walt Smith <WSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:03:32 -0500

This whole issue of proprietary quick-charge batteries is beginning to
concern me. We now have at least two--the Ray-O-Vac and the Energizer--and
I'd be very surprised if either brand of proprietary batteries will charge
in the other proprietary charger. While both chargers will handle normal
NIMh cells, I'd bet that each proprietary battery is designed differently
and that the results could be, as they say in the technology biz,
unpredictable if you were to put Energizer batteries into the Ray-O-Vac
charger or vice-versa. The best case scenario would be that the batteries
would take overnight to charge. The worst case would be that the batteries
would be destroyed internally or possibly even explode. I hope that once
people start using these quick-charge batteries, they remember to always use
the same brand of battery as the charger was built to handle or,
alternatively, that we get some very specific and categorical guidance from
the manufacturers as to the possible results of using the other guy's
charger.