[bookport] Re: rechargeable batteries, another option

  • From: "Scott Howell" <n3byy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:59:06 -0500

I wonder if the fast charge batteries have less life do to how the Bp
measures them. I imagine there's a cutoff point in the Bp circuit that
lets you know its low, but I wonder how low it goes? I like the fast
charger for my wife's camera as those suckers eat batteries rather
quickly so this is probably more an option for her not to mention the
camera also will take video so that will eat them faster. I will try
this charger out and I consider it a small investment if I can get more
than a year form the batteries. If I find they do not perform well at
all, then at least there are other options. The idea of charging
batteries of course isn't new and I use a rapid charger for my handheld
2 meter transceiver and haven't had any problems from it. Of course what
I'd love to do and I stray off topic here, is to get a new 2m rig that
would allow for use of double A cells and see how it performs. I see the
selection of thsoe types of rigs is more available than it once was. Now
that would trulely be a test for a battery. Gee where is my Bp docs, I
forget what the drain is and if that info is listed. THis is a very
fascinating topic. I think when all is said and done, only time and use
of these faster chargers will tell the story of their value.
Btw, my batteries got warm, but didn't appear to get any warmer than the
super slow charger that came with the first set of batteries I purchased
at RS. I wonder if the fan helps that much or they just don't get that
hot, but I suspect the fan does help quite a bit.
On one final note, I had a 26 amp-hour led acid battery and when you put
that sucker on a charger, you could hear the stuff almost boiling in
there. Was quite an interesting sound...grin