[bookport] Re: never mind my last question, but a fewcomments

  • From: Clarence Whaley <clarence@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:39:21 -0500

Paul, wouldn't that be ugly especially if you have read halfway through the
book and only need to add the part that wouldn't fit?  Unless I'm missing
something here then the system in place is the best alternative; not that
difficult the way it is.  As for speed of uploading to the BookPort I would
bet it is becuase of USB type 1.  I'm willing to wait given we now have an
accessible device unlike the Otis!  Just my not so humble opinion.

At 11:21 AM 6/9/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi, Rob. Probably resending the entire file would be the best.
>I wonder, though, why sending audible files to the bp is so slow?
>At 6/9/2004, you wrote:
> >Querying the card is a possibility. Another problem arises, though. If you =
> >send a file that already exists, and you skip the dialog, what should =
> >happen? Should it just resend the entire file, or should it start where =
> >you left off as it does by default with the box? To be consistent, we =
> >would probably just resend the entire file.

> >Hi, Rob. It is too bad you guys can't query the card and see how much =
> >will=20
> >fit. Only if there is a problem would the dialog box then come up.=20
> >Otherwise, you would just put the entire file onto the bp.
> >It sure is slow uploading, though<grin>.
> >At 6/9/2004, you wrote:
> > >Paul:
> > >
> > >You have to load each part of a book separately, because there is
> nothing =
> >=3D
> > >binding those files together as a book. Yeah, the file names are
> similar, =
> >=3D
> > >but you can't always count on this because of inconsistent naming.
> > >
> > >Regarding the combo boxes for start and end times...
> > >
> > >It sounds like someone like you should just ignore the boxes and press =
> >=3D
> > >Enter to get whatever will fit. The default for a file which is not on =
> >the =3D
> > >device already is to start at the beginning, and send as much as will =
> >fit. =3D
> > >If you already have the file on the device, the default is to start at =
> >=3D
> > >your last reading position and send as much as will fit.
> > >
> > >We had to come up with some kind of scheme to allow selecting how much
> of =
> >=3D
> > >an Audible file to send, and 5 minute intervals seemed to be the best =3D
> > >choice. Yeah, most people won't start at 15 minutes and send 30 minutes =
> >of =3D
> > >material, but Audible sections can range from very short to very long, =
> >and =3D
> > >limiting selections to sections would minimize flexibility for users
> with =
> >=3D
> > >small flash cards.
> > >
> > >Perhaps we could skip the dialog if all of the file will fit? What do =3D
> > >others think about the current scheme?
> > >
> > >Rob Meredith

> > >Hi, Larry and Rod. Never mind my last question. Turns out the book I =3D
> > >was=3D20
> > >trying to load was not type four.
> > >I will have to go back and see if I can get it as type four.
> > >However, some comments.
> > >It takes an extremely long time to load one of these files, much =
> >slower=3D20
> > >than loading an mp3 file.
> [...]

Clarence Whaley
Training Division Manager
GW Micro
E-Mail:  Clarence@xxxxxxxxxxx
Direct Voice (615) 383-6248
or 866-699-8901
Direct Fax (260) 489-2608
GW Micro Voice Number 260-489-3671
http://www.gwmicro.com
or press enter below to read all about our training program
http://www.gwmicro.com/training