[bookport] Re: never mind my last question, but a fewcomments

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:07:18 -0400

Actually, the page numbering is pretty much useless in an audible.com =
file.  In brf files, you should be able to enter a page number and go =
directly to that page.

>>> r-carter@xxxxxxx Wednesday, June 09, 2004 8:53:26 AM >>>
Hi All,

I think the current combo box scheme is just fine. It seems to allow one =
to=20
easily select the default which is the whole file if that will fit or =
one=20
can select the amount that they want to send. I think it all works great. =
I=20
think it is too bad that only format 4 is supported as those files are=20
really large but I understand that is how it had to be.

I have already read a couple of audible books on the Book Port and love =
how=20
easily it is to move back by a phrase if you want a sentence repeated. =
What=20
is the logic behind the page numbering system? In other words, how does =
the=20
Book Port determine what page you are on in an audible file or in a =
file=20
that started out as a .brf file for that matter?

Robert Carter

At 07:31 AM 6/9/2004, you wrote:
>Paul:
>
>You have to load each part of a book separately, because there is nothing =
=3D
>binding those files together as a book. Yeah, the file names are similar, =
=3D
>but you can't always count on this because of inconsistent naming.
>
>Regarding the combo boxes for start and end times...
>
>It sounds like someone like you should just ignore the boxes and press =
=3D
>Enter to get whatever will fit. The default for a file which is not on =
the =3D
>device already is to start at the beginning, and send as much as will =
fit. =3D
>If you already have the file on the device, the default is to start at =
=3D
>your last reading position and send as much as will fit.
>
>We had to come up with some kind of scheme to allow selecting how much of =
=3D
>an Audible file to send, and 5 minute intervals seemed to be the best =3D
>choice. Yeah, most people won't start at 15 minutes and send 30 minutes =
of =3D
>material, but Audible sections can range from very short to very long, =
and =3D
>limiting selections to sections would minimize flexibility for users with =
=3D
>small flash cards.
>
>Perhaps we could skip the dialog if all of the file will fit? What do =3D
>others think about the current scheme?
>
>Rob Meredith

>Hi, Larry and Rod. Never mind my last question. Turns out the book I =3D
>was=3D20
>trying to load was not type four.
>I will have to go back and see if I can get it as type four.
>However, some comments.
>It takes an extremely long time to load one of these files, much =
slower=3D20
>than loading an mp3 file.
>Also, I was surprised that in a book that contains more than one file, =
=3D
>I=3D20
>have  to load each part separately.
>And why the combo boxes that ask me where I want to start and end? If =
I=3D20