[bookport] Re: batteries

  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:50:32 -0600

I would say this.  Always make sure you do it on a flat surface.  Always
make sure that you do it gently, don't force anything.  Always make sure
the ribbon is in place before you put the batteries in so that it will
be beneath them when you need to take them out.
One thing to keep in mind, this is a mailing list.  Everyone who has a
Bookport does not subscribe to this list, nor are they reading these
messages.  There are probably many Bookport owners who have never
experienced a problem with the battery contacts.  I read several books
per week.  I change batteries fairly often since I read so much.  I have
owned my unit since early August of 2003.  I have never experienced a
problem with the contacts.  We need to be careful that when we read some
messages that indicate that people have had trouble with the battery
contacts that we realize that it is in all likelihood an extremely small
minority.   And, it is also likely given human nature that some of that
very small minority haven't taken care to replace the batteries gently
and/or properly.  This is not to put blame on anyone, sometimes,
equipment fails, it just does.  However, I have probably put my Bookport
through as much use as anyone on this planet and my battery contacts are
as fine as  they were when I first received the unit some 29 months ago.
This is a mailing list phenomenon.  If we see reports of failure of any
kind, suddenly a device is deemed by some to be seriously flawed.
Again,  I could name quite a number of individuals that I know
personally that have never experienced these problems.  Remember, people
don't write to this list if they never have a problem or a question, at
least not all that often.