[bookport] Re: batteries

  • From: DanFlasar@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:30:04 EST

I started using rechargeable batteries at least 20 years ago for the
following reasons:

1.   They are more economical.  I  honestly can't say  that I've noticed any
difference in the life of a rechargeable battery for one  charge than that for
an alkaline battery, but I'lldefer to those who have made  tests.  However,
once an alkaline battery is dead, it's dead and it can  only be thrown away
(hence releasing a lot of really dangerous and toxic  substances into the
environment) or recycling them - which is hard to do since  most recyclers
won't take
them (note:  A company called Batteries + will  take any batteries at all for
recycling).

2.   One set of rechargeable batteries can last up to 7 years if  fully
discharged and recharged peroperly.   That's a *lot* of  alkalines kept out of
the
landfill!  And a *lot* of money still in your  pocket.

     Since I got my bookport back in September, I've  changed the
rechargeable batteries exaclty twice.  I don't use it to  playmusic, though -
just text
so I guess that's why they last  so long.

    It doesn't matter to me that much if the battery  indicator doesn't work
since when rechargeable batteries start to go,  you  can tell fairly easily -
the whole process slows down, which is why I always  carry extra batteries
with me.
     Biggest problem with rechargeables - none of them,  as far as I know,
provide anything but a visual signal for when  the charging is complete, which,
of course, would be a problem for someone  who has a severe visual impairment
or is totally blind.
Dan