[bookport] Re: batteries

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:36:18 -0500

Jon -

For audio files, I wouldn't use anything but lithium ion batteries. I buy
them at Sam's Club in quantities of 12 batteries at a time (it's a pack of 3
packages of 4 batteries). I get excellent performance using these with all
types of books, particularly books from Audible.com, and they're all I use
nowadays.

If you opt to go with rechargeables, I strongly recommend the 15-minute
rechargeables. I think they're made by Ray-O-Vac and while RadioShack used
to sell the chargers packaged with one set of batteries, I've seen others
say here that they no longer seem to carry them. These are nice and will
certainly cut away down on land fill pollution, but you won't get nearly the
per-charge playing time that you will with a set of lithium ion batteries
and if you travel anywhere away from home with the Book Port, you'll need to
carry the charger and look for an a.c. outlet to recharge when the batteries
run low. These 15-minute rechargeables require a special charger; that is,
you can't charge them in any old charger that accepts double A batteries;
and while the chargers for them will accept other types of rechargeables,
you don't dare mix battery types during a recharging cycle. They really do
recharge in 15 minutes, too.