[bookport] Re: Should this be taking this long?

  • From: Aaron Cannon <cannona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:41:52 -0600

It might defrag, but you are right, there is no point.  If I understand the
technology correctly, reading from one point on the card is just as fast as
reading from any other, no matter where you were reading from
previously.  This is not true of a hard drive, where a physical component
has to actually move from one point to another when you start reading from
a different point on the media, so naturally defragging a hard drive makes
sense because you want related blocks to be as close as possible so you
don't have to jump around as much.

Aaron Cannon

--
E-mail: cannona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx