[bookport] Re: Moving files on and off of the BP

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:25:18 -0400

Rusty:

I'm not in the Programming department, but I think copying and pasting
is the answer here. By doing this, you don't lose your place in the
files. If we had an option, such as the type of thing you are speaking
of, there would be no way to maintain that information. Let's say you
transferred a book, but didn't read any of it, then it wouldn't matter.
But if you had read some of it, you'd want the BP to remember where you
were. Therefore, it wouldn't be as simple as a one-click thing. When
you're ready to put the stuff back, you need to paste it back, rather
than transfer it back.

Incidentally, you would only have three files to copy with Daisy
material, because the Book Port software handles all of the hidden files
before transferring them. The OPF file (Daisy 3.0) or the "ncc" file
(version 2.2) has all of the information.

If you don't care about keeping your place, then just copy the data
file, which is the file containing the "DD" extension.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> rusty.perez@xxxxxxxxx 08/30/05 01:07PM >>>
Yes, I know that copying the files by hand would work, but how about
DAISY
books? Aren't those comprised of bunches of little files? That would be
pain.

I'm not a programmer, but it would seem a relatively simple matter for
the
program to have a way to select a file or book you want to take off or
put
on to the card.
"remove from bookport" "restore to bookport"
Maybe the concept of a bookshelf would work. The bookshelf contains
books
which are ready for the bookport, then you can choose to load them on
the
bookport or put them back on to the shelf from the bookport.

Maybe it would be as simple as drag and drop. Or just a hotkey.

This would be particularly useful for students and those of us who are
professionals with refference books, who are constantly juggling books.
Yes,
juggling CF cards is more convenient than juggling books, but it would
be a
useful feature I think.

Thanks!
Rusty