[bookport] Re: More transfer errors

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:04:15 -0400

Is it possible that the card was bad from the beginning?

You should be able to get a free replacement for it.

>>> Dashman@xxxxxxxxxxxx Monday, April 18, 2005 4:32:27 AM >>>
Hello everyone,
     This is primarily addressed to the folks at APH.  I started
drafting this message Friday night.  Note: I am using a Lexar 1 GB
card.
     OK, since my last message, the unit has been locking up on the
same file each time.  I tried sending the files one at a time, and got
the same results.  This time, I was able to write down the following
additional BP errors:
Card insertion error; ......; saving voice recording
Firmware Error Conditioning Y#N RZV at line number 29698. Press the 0
key to reset BookPort.

     Preceding this, the transfer software forze in the middle of
sending this one specific file, and when I hit Cancel, reported that the
flash card was full; it is not.  I never removed or reinserted the card.
 Also, the 0 key would not reset the BP.  I had to remove the batteries
to force a reset.  The firmware conditioning error occurred more than
once, but has not occurred since Friday, though much additional testing
was done.
     What I have found, with extensive testing over the weekend, is
that the card seems to have become partially corrupt.  I can fit over
600 MB on the card, but wants I get down to about 363 MB free, nothing
else will go on the card.  BP Transfer reports a card full condition,
and CF readers report that the device is not ready.  I have tried using
the BP and the PC to reformat the card.  Once, I even tried reformatting
it as a FAT32 (then sent files to it from the PC's card reader), and got
the same results.  I've tried running ScanDisk and the BP Transfer's Fix
Errors utility on the card, but to no avail.
     This card is just a couple of weeks old, so I can't imagine it
would have gone bad.  Can anyone at APH provide insight into the error
message above, and what may have possibly happened?  I don't want to put
money into another 1 GB card until I at least have an idea if I did
something wrong, or what might have happened.  I am happy to answer any
questions to help clarify the situation.

Thanks,
Cheryl