[bookport] Re: Dealing with large daisy audio books

  • From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:31:31 -0400

The only files encrypted in RFB&D books are some of the html and smil files. The mp3 files themselves are not encrypted as you can easily see by playing them in any player such as winamp. The files have random names which prevents users from making playlists or whatever to play them in the proper order. This effectively prevents unauthorized users from using the book since many books have over a hundred mp3 files. So it would seem to me there could be a way to transfer the mp3 files to each bookport since they are the same for a given book and then transfering the files that need decryption separately. Html and smil files are small compared to the mp3 files making up a book. I hope APH seriously considers offline processing. Parameters for your bookport could be store and any required encryption could be done without the unit wasting batteries.