[bookport] Re: Dealing with large daisy audio books

  • From: "Rusty Perez" <rusty.perez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:58:41 -0700

Rob, you wrote,
"There are no current plans to support the use of a card reader for sending.
Remember, many books are encrypted, so a scenario like you have with wanting
to send the same book to multiple students' Book Port units would not work."

RFBD books are encripted, but it seems to me that the encription, at least
with RFB, is not tied to individual BP units. It's only tied to the computer
the software is running on. The PIN is the same for every one. I'm not
suggesting that this gives license for unauthorized use, but, if a teacher
has, say two students using bp's he/she can use the same bp and computer
combo to put the same book on two different cards. Then, I think, the second
card can be given to another student for a different bp. So the notion of
security being an issue here doesn't make much sense.
The BP software could support usb 2.0 if it just supported other card
readers. The files are, after all, altered so they cannot be played, as they
are, on commercially available players by unauthorized users.

The ability of sending audible books to cards via a card reader could be
disabled.

If APH is not considering support of other card readers, would you consider
"off line" conversion of files which will be going to a BP? So, for
instance, I have my 500 mb daisy book which must be shrunk and sliced and
diced in preparation for the BP. This processing takes most of the
"transfer" time, and the processing is not done if I place a book in the
queue. Essencially, the bp seems to be sitting on the end of the cable,
wasting battery life, waiting for the processed file to be sent. Could it be
possible to tell the BP software to  speed the file up, cut out unwanted
silence, create the mp3 file, all while the bp is not connected? Then, when
the file is "really ready" to be "sent" I could connect the bp. This  would
cut down the amount of wasted battery life.

Thanks
Rusty

Skype: rustyperez
Yahoo and AIM: reliroo