[bookport] Re: Bookshare formats

  • From: "Lou Kolb" <loukolb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:05:50 -0500

Lois,

Just got back  and am catching up with mail so firgive me if this has
already been addressed.  First,  Everything you download from Bookshare must
be unpacked.  When transferring a daisy book you need only send either the
.opf or .ncc file, I can't remember which it is with those books.  Anyway,
if you send only that file, the transfer software will take care of
everything.  Be advised it may  take considerably longer to transfer a daisy
book than a .brf file.  I've found there usually isn't much to be gained
with most of the book share daisy books so I usually use the .brf files.
They're smaller but you might have to deal with some braille translation
anomalies.  The O'riley books which are usually technical in nature make
better use of the daisy system and you can easily navigate from chapter to
chapter.  The book port commands work well with these and you'll find they
are only available in daisy.  Hope this helps.  Happy holidays.  Lou