[bookport] Re: Bookport equivalent of Blue Screen of Death

  • From: Andrew Hart <ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:41:02 -0400

I was just about to report the same issue. I have some music encoded in MP3's. I don't rememebr how it was encoded, but I believe it is vbr.

There are certain MP3 files I have which crash Bookport producing an error message 100% of the time.
What happens is the following.
I have file advance turned on.
I play my music files. When particular files are reached, the Bookport plays the file but at the end, it does not move on to the next file. Instead, it says
"firmware error in apap.c at line 753. Press 0 to reset Bookport."
or something like that. I am not sure that "apap.c" is correct, because I had the speech rate cranked up and couldn't slow it down at this point to hear it more clearly.

What I did find, is that if I leave BP alone for a good long while, or I press DEF, it saves my settings so that when I press 0, i don't have to re-enter all my settings again.

If I start playing that same file again, BP will crash with the same error message when the file as finished playing and before the next one starts. This happens without fail on the same files every time.

If I turn off automatic file advancement, this problem never occurs. It seems to have something to do with the change-over from one file to another. Perhaps it could be a buffering issue? Actually, in terms of timing, it's not clear to me whether the crash occurs at the end of the current track, the beginning of the next track or at some point between them.

I am using the latest release version of Bookport, I think that is 2.2.0.0. alas, I left the jolly BP at home, so I can't double-check the version number at the moment, but it is not the new beta.

If it would help, I am happy to send someone at APH an mp3 file which causes the problem. I just need to know how to make it available.

Cheers,
Andrew.

At 20:57 03-04-2006, you wrote:
Hello. I was listening to an audio file the other day, not touching
the Bookport, when, it said:firmware error in app.c at line 737, press the 0 to
reset book port

        This was with Firmware 2.1.0.28, after 4700 minutes, or about 78
hours, of spoken minutes time.

        I'm not going to worry about this occurrence, but thought I'd mention
it, for the record, so that if others encounter it, they'll know it
happened to others.

By the way, pressing 0, reset the bookport to factory defaults, I plugged
in my preferences again, and continued on my audio way, so I don't think
this was a problem with my flash card.
-Brian