[bookport] Re: Bookport equivalent of Blue Screen of Death

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:16:40 -0700

        Rob. Just for the record, I regularly run with indexed MP3 files in
subdirectories with long file names and directories that contain hundreds
of files.  Although with really full directories, things slow down, they
don't consistently fail.  So, while I think your suggestions will work, I
think they address the symptom, reather than the root of the problem.

-Brian
On Apr 10, 11:55am, "ROB MEREDITH" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Re: Bookport equivalent of Blue Screen of Death
} Reed:
}
} It appears that this is simply a case of too many files in one folder
} under FAT32. You list 28 files. When sending through Book Port Transfer,
} you actually wind up with 3 files for each source file in the case of
} audio files. So, you wind up with a minimum of 85 files in that folder,
} including a machine-specific file called lastfile._AA.
}
} The other complication is that your file names aren't particularrly
} short. Of course we have all seen longer file names, but the name length
} plays a role here.
}
} I recommend the following:
}
} 1. Delete the Podcasts folder from the Book Port.
} 2. Recreate the folder.
} 3. Copy the MP3 files directly, bypassing Book Port Transfer.
}
} This should work better for two reasons:
} 1. You have slightly shorter file names, as the ._dd and ._ix
} extensions have been dropped.
} 2. You are creating one file for each source file, at least initially.
} (When you play each of these files, a corresponding ._AA file will be
} created, and this will slow things down a little.) But, you will never
} have more than 2 files for each source file.
}
} You will still get good navigation equivalent to using the Send As
} Music option.
}
} If you don't like either of these solutions, you will have to do one of
} two things:
} 1. Shorten the names of the source files substantially. Remember 8.3
} file names?
} 2. Just put less files in each folder. Maybe 10 or so would work in
} this case.
}
} I don't think this is related to the other problems reported with using
} Auto File Advance, but it may be. I really don't know, as I have not
} been able to reproduce the other problem.
}
} Rob Meredith
}
} >>> Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx 04/07/06 04:02PM >>>
} Hi Rob,
}
} This might be related.  I have a 4 gig Sandisk card with more than 2
} gig
} used.
}
} I recently downloaded a bunch of podcasts from the BlindCoolTech site
} and
} saved them in a podcasts folder on my hard drive.  In most cases, when
} doing
} the transfer, I removed the BCT### prefix on the filenames.   The
} files
} saved are (listed by filename):
}
}  AigoA208Review.mp3
}  bct439GoldWaveBasics.mp3
}  bct441MilestoneRecorder.mp3
}  BookPort22.mp3
}  BreakfastWithClarance.mp3
}  BreakfastWithJanina.mp3
}  BreakfastWithMarc.mp3
}  ClickerReview.mp3
}  CliftonWalkingTour.mp3
}  CSUNKeynote.mp3
}  CSUNWrapup.mp3
}  DeGunkingWindowsPart1.mp3
}  HolidayInDevonTheWestCountryOfEngland.mp3
}  IconDemo.mp3
}  InexpensivePhantomPoweredMicrophones.mp3
}  InteractiveLocalization.mp3
}  JavaAndGNOME.mp3
}  MilestoneRecorderTechnicalReview1.mp3
}  MilestoneUnprocessedFile.mp3
}  MZRH10MinidiskRecorderReviewPart1.mp3
}  NewList.mp3
}  PGPAndEmail.mp3
}  PlaybackMarch2006.mp3
}  Security.mp3
}  SkypeUnites.mp3
}  ThanksButNoThanks.mp3
}  TheDarkSide.mp3
}  ThreeInOne.mp3
}
} I then fired up BP Transfer and copied them all to my podcasts
} (e:\PodCasts)
} folder on my BookPort. Within BP Transfer, I used control+A to select
} all of
} the files in the Podcasts folder on the pc, selected the Podcasts
} folder as
} the destination on the BookPort and checked Send Audio as Music.  Send
} filename as title is not checked.
}
} When, in BP Transfer,  I look at the files in the PodCasts folder, they
} are
} listed as follows:
}
[...]
} Note that the files are listed on the BP in the same order as they are
} listed on the pc; except that the first 9 files appearing in the pc
} list are
} at the end of the BP list (after ThreeInOne.mp3).
}
} When I use the next File (#) key to move through these files on the BP,
} the
} BP goes off to lala land on the file after ThreeInOne.mp3.  If I try to
} play
} the next file, the BP is hung and I hear part of an error message that
} starts with "audio". If I hit something else like D and F, it will
} sometimes
} recover after a few seconds and other times it will not.
}
} The first time I encountered the problem and couldn't figure what was
} going
} on, I backed-up all of the BP files on to my pc, reformated the card on
} the
} BP and copied the files back using Windows Explorer.  The problem was
} still
} there.
}
} So, this morning, using Windows explorer, I deleted all of the
} podcasts
} files on the BP and using the latest BP transfer, sent them again to
} the BP
} with the same settings as listed above.  The problem is still there.
} The BP
} gets stuck after the same ThreeInOne.mp3 file.
}
}
}
}