[bookport] Re: Bookport equivalent of Blue Screen of Death

  • From: Andrew Hart <ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:09:10 -0400

Rob,

As the file is over 5 MB, I have sent it to you via YouSendit. If you don't receive the E-mail, please let me know.

Cheers,
Andrew.

At 13:08 05-04-2006, you wrote:
Andrew, if you could do one of the following:

1. Give me all of the known parameters of the MP3 file. Bit rate,
sample rate, CBR/VBR status, MPeg Level, and such.
2. Send me the file which crashes. If its too big to send with regular
email, use www.yousendit.com and send it to my email address.

I would be glad to see what is going on.

Rob Meredith

>>> ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/04/06 10:41AM >>>
I was just about to report the same issue.  I have some music encoded
in MP3's.  I don't rememebr how it was encoded, but I believe it is
vbr.

There are certain MP3 files I have which crash Bookport producing an
error message 100% of the time.
What happens is the following.
I have file advance turned on.
I play my music files.  When particular files are reached, the
Bookport plays the file but at the end, it does not move on to the
next file.  Instead, it says
"firmware error in apap.c at line 753.  Press 0 to reset Bookport."
or something like that.  I am not sure that "apap.c" is correct,
because I had the speech rate cranked up and couldn't slow it down at
this point to hear it more clearly.

What I did find, is that if I leave BP alone for a good long while,
or I press DEF, it saves my settings so that when I press 0, i don't
have to re-enter all my settings again.

If I start playing that same file again, BP will crash with the same
error message when the file as finished playing and before the next
one starts.  This happens without fail on the same files every time.

If I turn off automatic file advancement, this problem never
occurs.  It seems to have something to do with the change-over from
one file to another.  Perhaps it could be a buffering
issue?  Actually, in terms of timing, it's not clear to me whether
the crash occurs at the end of the current track, the beginning of
the next track or at some point between them.

I am using the latest release version of Bookport, I think that is
2.2.0.0.  alas, I left the  jolly BP at home, so I can't double-check
the version number at the moment, but it is not the new beta.

If it would help, I am happy to send someone at APH an mp3 file which
causes the problem.  I just need to know how to make it available.

Cheers,
Andrew.