[bookport] Re: BP's speech and deleting folders

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 00:49:04 +1300

Hi Darrell and list:

Good to see you on this list, Darrell. I believe you are right about the
processing power needed for a software synth such as Eloquence. I got used
to Double talk speech years ago and don't mind it. But I still prefer true
audio when possible. For that reason, I tend to use primarily books that I
can get in appropriate audio formats as my first choice. When that isn't
possible, then I will read it in other applicable formats. This means I
don't use the built-in synthesiser in the Bookport for much beyond
manipulating the settings and moving between files. But even if that's all I
do with it, I consider it to be more accessible than anything else, which is
why I support it's development any way that I can. While the built-in
synthesiser is not of the quality of a good software synthesiser, it is far
above things that came before it. Does anyone remember the pathetic Echo
series or the Votrax? If you don't, I'd urge you to seek out examples of
those before you are quick to dismiss the synthesiser in the bp.

Cheers and 73,
Dave