[bookport] Re: Alarm with associated files

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:04:38 -0800

        Will the last book command be affected by the help button, which drops
you into the manual?  I ask because, currently, if you hit the help button,
and then go back into the file you were reading before you hit the help
button, you'll find that the next time you're in the root directory where
the manual is, your current file pointer will be in the manual, and not the
directory you just came from.  Actually, I find this behavior a bit
disconcerting, since I usually expect to be on the directory I just came
out of when I hit the *-0 keys to move up a level, and not some random file
in that directory.
        Also, another wording suggestion.  Rather than calling it the "last
book" command, why not call it the "book swap" command, since, if I
understand what you're saying is, that the command will let you alternate
between the last two files you've read, i.e. it always remembers the
current file minus 1, meaning if you hit it twice, you'll be back where you
started, right?  Or, you could just implement full stack commands, and have
push and pop as individual commands with a maximal depth of, say, 10 files.
-Brian
On Feb 16,  9:09am, "LARRY SKUTCHAN" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Re: Alarm with associated files
} We didn't get to specific about the behavior of associating a file when
} an alarm triggers in the manual, because that is about to change.  Here
} is what we should see in the next beta:
}
} There will be a new command, Lask Book, that lets you flip between the
} current book and the last book you had read.  Once that command is
} implimented, when an alarm triggers that is associated with a file, that
} file will play and the whole system will be normal.  You will just use
} the Last Book command to return to where you were before the alarm.
}
} Good suggestion on the wording.  We'll fix that.
}
}
} >>> r-carter@xxxxxxx Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:58:35 AM >>>
} Hi,
}
} When I associate a file with an alarm, the file only starts playing
} after I press the 2 key to silence the alarm. The BP stays in alarm
} mode even after the file has played. The only way that I have found
} to get out of alarm mode is to press and hhold the 2 key as if I was
} checking the time. This returns the system to normal use.
}
} I don't know how others feel, but I find the wording of the items
} under the sound setting confusing. The word external is used to
} describe the speaker that is inside the Book Port. The word internal
} is used to describe the sound that comes out of the headphone jack. I
} suggest using built-in for the speaker that is inside the Book Port
} and headphone for having the alarm come through the headphone jack.
} Admitedly there may be better words but at least I am interested in
} starting the discussion.
}
} Robert Carter
}