[bookport] Re: About the List

  • From: "Rick Ely" <ely.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:55:20 -0400

Larry,
Here! here!
----- Original Message ----- From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 11:49 AM
Subject: [bookport] About the List

When we first created this list, we intended it to be a place where
experienced Book Port users could talk with each other about cool tips
and tricks and where new users could tap us pros for information about
how to get started using this device to its full potential. Now,
however, it has turned into name calling and endless discussion about
topics that have really not too much to do with Book Port (i.e. switch
to Linux).

How about you guys helping out a little and not all chiming in on a
message that might not sit right with you.  In other words, as in the
case of the Linux suggestion, instead of starting a 50 message thread on
why or why not this would or would not be appropriate, just tap the
delete key and move on.

We have to realize that there are people out there that would really
benefit from a intelligent discussion of various aspects of Book Port,
but who are not too interested in wading through lots and lots of
traffic that has not too much to do with the subject.  At the same time,
the list moderators could much more wisely spend their time working on
new Book Port features and correcting known issues over baby sitting
routy list members and reading endless traffic about topics that, if
they were truely interested in, they could find on other lists.

Now, with all that in mind, we are thinking of setting up a new list
that would pertain to Book Port beta firmware and software.  I think
that if we combine some behavior modifications with this shift of beta
topics, this list could truely be what it was intended to be, and the
traffic would slow down to a manageable level.